Thursday, November 18, 2010

Superdawg in Chicago

CROSSROAD CUISINE - My quest to find great local food when I'm on the road visiting my stores.

It's not a wiener - not a frankfurter - not a red hot...
its a Superdawg!!!

Superdawg
6363 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60646


Superdawg is a drive-in hot dog stand located just 5 miles from Chicago O'hare Airport.

How cool is this place. You have to love the giant hot dogs....sorry Superdawgs on the roof. The restaurant retains a 1950s style. Customers pull their car up to one of the carports and order through a retro-looking metallic speaker box. The orders are delivered by a carhop with a tray that hooks on to the car door.




All of the sandwiches come with rippled french fries inside a box that helps retain its heat. Every Superdawg comes with a signature pickled green tomatillo (some think is a green tomato, but are wrong), one of Superdawg's distinctions from the classic Chicago-style hot dog, along with its spicier-than-usual wiener.

For those of you who don't know, a Chicago-style dog  is a steamed or water-simmered, kosher-style, all-beef frankfurter on a poppy seed bun. The hot dog is topped with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, sweet pickle relish (a dyed neon-green variety called piccalilli), a dill pickle spear, pickled sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt. The complete assembly of a Chicago hot dog is said to be "dragged through the garden" because of the unique combination of condiments. ABSOLUTELY NO KETCHUP!

The dog was great and the fries were awesome.

Check out this SuperSundae my district manager had. I love those old fashioned cream filled wafer cookies. My mom used to buy them for me when I was a kid. She said it was delicious, but a little difficult to eat in the car. No-worries it was a rental anyways.
For other great places I've eaten while on the road, check out these prior posts:




If you liked this post then you have to get these books. I have found many of my favorite places to eat in these two books.


No comments:

Post a Comment