Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Al's #1 Italian Beef

CROSSROAD CUISINE - My quest to find great local food when I'm on the road.

No this isn't a Philly cheese steak. Its not even close. That would be like comparing a NY style pizza to a Chicago deep dish pizza. Italian Beef is a Chicago original.

After my recent trip to the Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets, I stopped here for dinner. 

1079 W. Taylor St.
Chicago Il
312-733-8896
Open until Midnight.

Admittedly, this isn't anywhere near the Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets.  Its in the heart of Little Italy in Chicago. I pass right by it on my drive from Chicago Ohare to the center and back. Depending on my schedule I stop here for lunch on my way to the center or dinner on my way back. Its a great neighborhood. You have Little Italy and its on the campus of UIC-The University of Illinois at Chicago.

Italian Beef is thinly sliced, garlic charged roast beef that is loaded on a chewy length of Italian bread. Then the entire sandwich is dipped into a pan of natural gravy so the bread is soaked through.

This is just a regular as opposed to a large. It is topped with giardiniera which in my opinion is a must. Giardiniera is an eye opening melange of finely chopped marinated vegetables, capers and spice that is a perfect complement to the beef.

There is no place to sit here. You order from the counter and eat standing up. Actually you eat from waist high counters where you lean forward so that the dripping juices hit the counter rather than your lap or shoes.

Another great sandwich to get here is called a Combo. No that's not a sandwich with fries and a drink. Its just a sandwich. What makes it a combo is that it is a combination of Italian beef and a plump Italian sausage. Its awesome. The fries here are great too. They are fresh cut and taste delicious.

If that isn't good enough for you and your in the mood for more. Just walk across the street to Marios Italian Ice shop. (You got to love this neighborhood)

This is the real deal home made Italian ice. You can get tons of flavors.


 Check out the plastic fruit hanging from the ceiling. As you can see from the sign in the picture the daily special when I was there was watermelon ice. So that's what I had.
You can tell this is real home made Italian ice made from fresh fruit. Look closely at the picture. Yes that's a watermelon seed in my ice. It was really refreshing and this cup was only one dollar.

So the next time your heading out to the Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets, leave time in your schedule to stop in Little Italy for some great food.

For other great places to eat when your on the road, check out:

Barley Creek Brewing Company


If you liked this post then you have to get this book: 
500 Things to Eat Before Its Too Late

Mark Libell

2 comments:

  1. I never had an Italian Beef sandwich before..next time I am in Chicago I am going to Little Italy! Great review, nice pics.
    Lisa V. Pittsburgh, Pa

    ReplyDelete