In 2004, when LinkedIn was a fledgling site with 500,000 members, we introduced LinkedIn Groups – where professionals could come to exchange their knowledge and build relationships. Today, there are more than 380 million professionals on LinkedIn from around the world. The way we connect, communicate and share knowledge has changed dramatically. This is why I’m so excited to introduce you to an all new, rebuilt from the ground up, LinkedIn Groups and, for the first time, a LinkedIn Groups iOS app — designed to make it easier for you to find and engage in high-quality conversations, whenever you want to, from wherever you want.
We’ve heard from thousands of you to learn what would make these conversations more valuable for you. Here’s what you can expect from the new experience:
- More engaging, high-quality conversations: Now you can add images to your posts and mention other group members — making posts more visual and engaging. You’ll also notice less clutter in the form of spam and promotional content within the Groups you participate in.
- Access anytime, anywhere: Join or continue conversations wherever you are with the new iOS app. The new app also gives group owners the ability to manage their group conversations and members on the fly.
- Conversations with people you trust: A conversation can be more valuable when it’s shared within a trusted space, so group conversations will now only be visible to group members. To bring new voices to the table, group members can invite members of their network to join in the conversation.
- Beautiful interface: A simplified navigation with a focus on making it easier to find, join and start quality conversations on LinkedIn.
- Find the right community: Not in the right groups yet? We were inspired by our real-world communities to design a new way of suggesting new groups to members based on who you are and who you know. The simple action of accepting or dismissing those suggestions leads to smarter, more tailored recommendations for you.
This new conversation space was created with you, the member, in mind. We’ve heard some incredible stories this year that have inspired us to reimagine what Groups could be. There’s the film director from Texas who discovered just how valuable LinkedIn can be for professionals in his industry when he discovered a group strictly for Film and Television pros. A printing expert from California took a minute to answer a question he saw in a group- that answer turned into a valuable partnership and new business venture for him. And in another instance, a thought-leader in regenerative medicine noticed his niche industry was spread all over the world, and built a group that quickly became the definitive site for this industry to gather.
LinkedIn Groups will begin rolling out to English-speaking members around the world today on desktop and on iOS. We encourage you to take a look and join a professional conversation today.
Have more questions? Check out the LinkedIn Help Center for more information.
Editor’s Note: If LinkedIn has helped you transform your career or business, please share your story with us or write a post on LinkedIn with the hashtag #MyLinkedInStory. For more inspiration, check out more success stories.