Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lineberger Cancer Center Receives Holiday Donation From Tanger Outlets

CHAPEL HILL-Last week, Tanger Outlets in Mebane presented a special Christmas gift to the UNC Lineberger Cancer Center.

“We had the pleasure of donating $11,220.83 to the Lineberger Center,” says Tanger outlets General Manager Kathy Hackshaw.

The check was presented last Thursday to UNC Lineberger Cancer Center Associate Director Dr. Lisa Carey. Tanger Outlets raised the funds as part of a recent drive to benefit three different cancer beneficiaries; overall the effort raised $36,000.

Carey says the funds will go toward cancer research, specifically in the battle against breast cancer. Carey says even though the medical community has made several strides in reducing breast cancer’s death rate, doctors are still working on ways to make sufferers more comfortable during treatment.

“It’s one of the most common cancers to affect women, but the truth is, nowadays, 80 percent of women with breast cancer are cured,” she says. “Our challenge now is helping the other 20 percent and to help that 80 percent not just be cured, but live better.”

Since 1994, Tanger has raised more than $10 million nationwide to benefit cancer research. Hackshaw says Tanger is already planning to have another local cancer fundraiser for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment